While thinking about designing a website, it is very important to select the best and the right CMS platform. The CMS market is very much crowded these days. Every single content management system (CMS) flaunts with a claim that it is the best. Here I am for solving your doubt and providing you detail on the “Ultimate CMS Battleground” – Why WordPress is a lone WINNER? There are many CMS platform out there likes of WordPress, Wix, Squarespace, Joomla, Drupal and many more.
“Ultimate CMS Battleground” – Why WordPress is a lone WINNER? (Infographics)
Here I am with the answer to this ultimate CMS battleground and tell you why WordPress is a lone winner. In this article, I am not taking Magento and Shopify into consideration as they are the E-Commerce website designing CMS platforms and is not used by everyone very frequently.
So let’s move towards the basic journey of this article that is the battle between the CMS platforms and let me tell you why WordPress is considered as the best among others.
Ultimate CMS Battleground
- Squarespace – It is making a huge noise in the recent years. Though it started back in 2003 by an American company that provides you with the free access just like all the website designing CMS platforms. It helps you to create a website by just drag and drop feature which is super easy to perform. Despite the fact, it is super easy to use but it has some sort of limitations. You can’t play around with themes and plugins as they are available in limited quantity. Still, Squarespace hosts more than 1 million sites from all around the world.
- Wix – Just like Squarespace, it is another drag and drop template type of CMS platform that started its journey back in 2007 and is an Israel based company. It started in the beta phase with Adobe Flash as the platform to offer to the users to create a website. Later on, the company moved towards HTML5 and mobile sites that use the current drag and drop feature to create a superb website. But again with super easiness, there are the limitations of themes and plugins to play with. But Wix as a CMS platform to create websites houses more than 1.2 million websites and more will be joining soon.
- Drupal – It is an open-source CMS platform with PHP as the framework and is distributed under the GNU GPL. It was first released in the year 2000 and till date, it is a safe house for more than 1.3 million of the websites which is 2.3% of the sites all over the world. Unlike the above two (Wix & Squarespace), Drupal is not that easy to hang out with but there are around 2000+ themes and over 26000 plugins to play around with. Also, unlike Wix and Squarespace which are hosted CMS platform, Drupal is self-hosted one.
- Joomla – Joomla is one of the top choices for website designing in the current time. It is again a free and open-source CMS platform written in PHP framework. It is once again super easy to use and you have the choices to make from 1000+ themes and 5000+ plugins to play around. This is the reason that there are more than 2.8 million people who use this CMS platform for designing their websites. Just like Drupal, it is a self-hosted CMS platform that is downloaded more than 93 million times (till May 2018). It is the second most used CMS platform worldwide for designing websites.
- WordPress – So here is the lone winner of this Ultimate CMS Battleground. It is a house to more than 75 million of the websites and the top 30.6% of the world’s websites are based on WordPress. It has a huge 3000+ themes and 44000+ plugins to play around with. WordPress is another free open-source CMS which is based on PHP and MySQL. It started its journey in 2003. Those were the days when it was taken as a blogging platform but with continuous advancements and updates now there is nothing that you can’t do with WordPress as a CMS platform. It is good for E-Commerce websites, dynamic websites, static ones too. And overall, it is super easy to use and is also SEO friendly.
Why WordPress is a lone WINNER?
So by far when it comes to numbers WordPress is the most popular and widely crowded CMS platform that people suggest or take interest in for designing a website for themselves or their clients. But what makes it a solitary winner in this battle of CMS’s.
WordPress is very responsive with the updates and so is the community to update the themes and plugins. It doesn’t have a CEO and is free for the world. There are more than 3000 themes and 44000 plugins to play around and remember, here we are talking about the free ones. The number grows significantly if we talk about the paid ones too.
WordPress has the history of getting various awards when it first happens back in 2008. Here is a list of awards it got –
- Winner of Infoworld’s “Best of open source software awards: Collaboration”, awarded in 2008.
- Winner of Open Source CMS Awards’s “Overall Best Open Source CMS”, awarded in 2009.
- Winner of Digital Synergy’s “Hall of Fame CMS category in the 2010 Open Source”, awarded in 2010.
- Winner of Infoworld’s “Bossie award for Best Open Source Software”, awarded in 2011.
- Winner of CMS Critic Award’s “Best CMS for Personal Websites”, awarded in 2015.
And to be honest, 75+ million people are using it for their websites which is not a joke and more are adding up each day. WordPress has a market share of 31% (All Websites) and 59.9% (CMS Market). It is the interest of the people that is making the WordPress as a lone Winner in the ultimate CMS battleground.
I hope you like this information and if you have some questions then feel free to contact me.
Till then Have a Nice Day… and Cheers!!!